INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
• 2 tbsp. Sichuan peppercorns
• 1 tsp. turbinado sugar or raw sugar
• 1 orange, zested & juiced
• 1 lemon, zested & juiced
• 1 lime, zested & juiced
• 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
• 4 (6-ounce) tuna loin steaks
• 2 tbsp. canola oil, divided
• Citrus-Sichuan Peppercorn Crust
• Fresh cilantro for garnish, optional
1. Pulse-grind Sichuan peppercorns in a small grinder until coarse ground. Add turbinado or raw sugar, pulse to blend and slightly grind.
2. Combine zests of orange, lemon, and lime in small mixing bowl.
3. Add ground Sichuan peppercorn-sugar mixture to zest. Add coarse salt and blend well. Set aside.
1. Place large non-stick saute pan over high heat. W hile pan is heating, lightly coat tuna steaks with 1 tbsp. canola oil and lightly dust evenly with prepared citrus-Sichuan peppercorn crust. Do not overcoat.
2. Add 1 tbsp. canola oil to pan and immediately add tuna steaks. Cook evenly on both sides to create a well-caramelized crust, about 2-3 minutes, watching carefully to avoid burning. Remove from pan and transfer to small sheet pan to rest. Tuna is best done rare to medium-rare. For more well-done, finish off in a 375°F oven.
3. Slice tuna steaks on bias.
4. Garnish with cilantro as desired. Serve immediately.
Be sure to watch All Mommy Wants for EXCLUSIVE coverage of Inside Out, including a first-hand look on the red carpet! June 7-9 2015