#TBT – This Day in 2008: Still Annoyed By The Shopaholic Movie #NaBloPoMo
Every Thursday I am going back to my old blog to see what I posted there on the same date. This was posted on November 20, 2008:
So I am reading the SHOPAHOLIC series. I am loving it, but I am not excited about the movie coming out in 02/2009. Here’s what I find VERY wrong from the trailer…
- The movie is set in New York… Wha? It’s supposed to be in London!
- Rebecca Bloomwood is NOT a recent college grad, as depicted in the film.
- Isla Fisher as Rebecca? WTH?
- Some dorky guy as Luke? Luke is supposed to be tall, dark, and handsome…
- The trailer has Rebecca trying on bridemaid’s dresses… presumably for her roommate Suze’s wedding. In the book Suze is VERY single…
Billie Piper as Rebecca Bloomwood. She’s from Dr. Who and Secret Diary of a Call Girl. She’s huge in England.
Jude Law as Luke.. ’nuff said.
Emily Blunt as best friend/flatmate Suze. She would be perfect!
Steve Valentine as Tarquin, who’s heart is broken by Rebecca. Creepy, mysterious, pasty, flawless as Tarquin…
Simon Pegg as Derek Smeath, the banker with a heart. SHAAAUUUUN!!!
Notice that they are all British actors… that wasn’t an accident…
Just to recap the actual cast:
- Isla Fisher – Rebecca Bloomwood
- Hugh Dancy – Luke Brandon
- Krysten Ritter – Suze
- Nick Cornish – Tarquin
- Robert Stanton – Derek Smeath
So, although it was a cute movie, I have such an attachment to the books (my friend Dianna and I would trade them with each other at work and had our own mini-book club around them) that it was hard for me to get past quirky Isla Fisher as Rebecca. In the books Rebecca is charmingly clumsy and a bit absent-minded, but she’s not an IDIOT. Also, although Hugh Dancy is a hottie in his own right, I don’t know if his role was masculine enough for the role of Luke. I saw Luke a bit more smoldering… With that said, the movie was fluffy-cute, but it’s unfortunate that it didn’t quite capture the metamorphosis that Rebecca went through in the books.
So even though I know the movie came out almost 5 years ago, I will ask you what you though of it – comment here!