*this post is in partnership with zak.com
Did you know that over over 2 billion pounds of waste is dumped every year in this world?
I was shocked when I heard that statistic. I try to do my part in recycling, but reducing waste has always been a struggle. As consumers we buy new products daily, only to trash over 90% of what we buy within 6 months. Many of these things, like disposable coffee cups we dispose of within an hour of getting. Well, for me not anymore.
- Every minute a million plastic bottles are bought around the world (1)
- Not even half the plastic bottles sold in 2016 were turned in for recycling, and only 7% of
those were used to create new bottles (2)
- It takes more than 400 years for plastic to degrade (3)
- By 2025, the ratio of plastic to fish in the ocean could be one to three, and by 2050, it’s
expected that the weight of plastics in ocean will surpass the weight of fish in the ocean
- 91% of the 8.3 billion metric tons of plastic that’s been produced has not been recycled
according to a study published in late 2018 in the peer-reviewed journal Science
- Half of all plastics become trash in less than a year, the same study found.
I have been a big advocate of buying second hand. One of my favorite things to do is find things second hand that deserve more life with a new owner instead of sitting in a heap of junk. I have now begun using reusable drinkware when getting my morning coffee or afternoon smoothie.
Which is why I am using my Zak Alfalfa Tumbler for my drinks. Made of durable, eco-friendly material, these tumblers help you save on disposable plastic. The stainless steel is easy to clean and has a sturdy weight that will hold up well in your day-to-day routine, whether you use your tumbler at home, bring it to the office, or take it on an outing. It fits in car cup holders and keeps water accessible through the straw, while a lid prevents splashes and spills. Plus, it keeps beverages ice-cold with vacuum insulation to keep out the heat. With a variety of sizes and colors, anyone can find an insulated stainless steel tumbler they love.
I am also pledging to reduce the waste I make for the next 30 days. 30 days to make a habit, 30 days to make an impact. And I challenge you to do the same. Together we can make an impact on our planet.
To help you get started I am offering a 20% discount on any of the Alfalfa tumblers at www.zak.com by using the code CHOOSETOREUSE any time before May 15th
(4) The New Plastics Economy: Rethinking the Future of Plastics, Ellen MacAruthur
Foundation, pp 29